UV rays are bad for more than your skin. In fact, the sun's UV rays can bake the volatiles right out of your asphalt driveway. This will leave the driveway brittle. Cracks will soon follow, and if you don't take reparatory measures, potholes come next. If your driveway has cracks and potholes, it is time to correct the problem and infuse some life back into your driveway.
For a permanent crack repair, use the following steps:
1. Remove weeds and other organic material from the crack. Use a hoe or rake to remove stubborn weeds.
2. Sweep out the cracks, or use a power washer if you have access to one.
3. Fill the cracks with a rubberized crack filling compound.
Use the following steps to repair potholes.
1. If erosion has undercut the edges of the pothole, use a chisel and sledge to cut back the edges of the hole until there are no overhangs left.
2. Remove all loose or organic material from the hole.
3. Fill up two inches of the hole with patching compound.
4. Tamp down the compound.
5. Continue filling two inches at a time until you have filled the hole completely.
6. Heap up about two inches of patching compound, cover the hole with a piece of plywood, and run over it several times with your car or until the plywood lays flat.
Proper compaction is the key to durable pothole repair.
The Case for Sealant
Repairing cracks and potholes is important, but if you stop there, it is only a matter of time until new cracks form. A seal coat acts like sunscreen. It will absorb the brunt of the sun's attack so that the asphalt beneath is unaffected. A seal coat will also protect your driveway against the damaging effects of frost wedging. Thus, once you have undertaken the heavy work of patching up your driveway, it only makes sense to add a seal coat to forestall future problems.
An asphalt driveway can last for decades as long as you take proper care of it. You don't have to wait until cracks and potholes form to add a sealcoat to your driveway. In fact, you should sealcoat your driveway whenever the color fades from black to grey. Whenever cracks form, you should act quickly to repair them. A vigilant homeowner will get several more years of wear out of a driveway than one who simply ignores driveway damage. For more tips, contact a company like Lakeridge Paving Company.Share
24 June 2015
When it comes to choosing different details for a home construction project, things aren't always simple and convenient. I started renovating my home a few years ago, and it was really discouraging to see how much I needed to do in order to make things right. Before I knew it, I was struggling with construction decisions, and it was overwhelming. I wanted to do something to make things right, so I started focusing heavily on finding a team of professional contractors. I was able to find an incredible contractor who seemed to understand my aesthetic, and he helped me to transform my house into my dream home. Check out this blog for great information.